My Photo
Name:
Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia

Endlessly puzzled by human life and its ferocity. Not truly alive, I am only going through the motions. This attitude never fails to infuriate girlfriends.

Tuesday, May 11, 2004

Nil Penna Sed Usus

"Nil Penna Sed Usus" is a motto on my ring. Latin ambiguity makes it hard to decide on original intention: "Not the wing but its use" as well as "Not the pen but its use". I have not been able to trace the origin of my ring. Because it is an old ring and has been re-sized many times all the marks normally left by the jeweler are no longer visible. What institution would have used such a motto, and who was the intended recipient of such a ring if it was a prize? A pupil of the English Public School perhaps? I wish I knew where it had come from before October 2001 when I noticed it in the window of antique jewelry shop on the top floor of Queen Victoria Building.
It is a gold seal ring. A scroll with words "Nil Penna Sed Usus" runs along bottom edge of the face; in the centre there is a shield with three feathers (quills) placed diagonally. Above the shield there is an armored head in a circle of laurels. The ring's band is in the form of two intertwined serpents.

2 Comments:

Blogger Karen1776 said...

"Not the Wing But the Use", would be true to another. But to the self it would be its own joy at the use, unless, of course, it was inanimate. Enjoyed your comments.
Come check out my blogspot at:
http://skittishkat.blogspot.com/

January 22, 2006 at 4:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What you describe sounds much like the Gilmour family crest. I recently did my genealogy history and I am a descendant as my mother is a Gilmour. If you are interested in selling the ring, I would very much be interested. Would make a great gift for her. Please email me if you still have it and would be interested.
TroyLinx@gmail.com

December 23, 2016 at 3:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home